Thursday, April 1, 2010

Thoughts for Maundy Thursday


Instructing Thy disciples in the mystery, O Lord,

Thou didst say to them:

My beloved, see that no fear separates you from me.

Though I suffer, it is for the sake of the world.

Let me not be a cause of scandal to you.

I came, not to be served, but to serve,

to give myself for the redemption of the world.

If you are my friends, then imitate me.

Let the first among you be last.

Let the master be like the servant.

Abide in me and bear fruit, for I am the vine of life.

-From the Matins of Great and Holy Thursday


The Lord, who alone loves mankind,

who created the lakes, the rivers, and the seas,

gave us a special commandment of love

when he wrapped a towel around His waist

and washed the feet of His disciples;

He humbled Himself in the greatness of His goodness,

raising us from the depths of evil.

- Kathisma Hymn from the Matins of Great and Holy Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment

template