Saturday, August 29, 2009

Mazy is a gra-ju-wit! (graduate)

Mazy, my beloved daschie, officially passed her first training class! When I initially enrolled her in the class at my local Petsmart, I thought it would be a good time for her and I to bond. It was but it was much more work than I had anticipated. She passed the following test in order to graduate (all minutes were timed by a timer):

Sit-Stay (frozen) for 1 minute

Sit-Down-Stay (frozen) for 3 minutes

Sit-Stay (owner turns their back and walks away)- Come from a distance

Sit-Down-Stay (owner turns their back and walks away)- Come from a distance

Sit-Wait (not frozen but must change from a sit to a down to indicate she is waiting)

"Leave it!" A huge pile of treats is placed on the floor. The dog is then instructed and reminded gently by collar to leave it while the owner walks the dog close to the treats, circling around them. Every time the dog attempts to eat the treats, they are reminded to "leave it!". Then, the owner places the dog directly behind the pile of treats. The dog is told "sit" and "stay." The owner turns their back and walks away. Then, the dog is called from a distance to come to the owner and must bypass the pile of treats. Thus, "LEAVE IT!".

All of this was hard work for Mazy but she did it! I really did bond us and it helped a LOT on her focus!

Congratulations my bubbies! (that's my nick name for her!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

template